For irritating reasons, our English versions of the Bible have this translation of Leviticus 18:22.
Leviticus 18:22 in the NIV Bible: Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable. (It is used against homosexuality everyday).
This has been said that it is directed at Levitical Priests; and some scholars have said that this means that Priests are not to have sex with male temple prostitutes, but just this week as part of my studies for my research paper on Gay Theology, we discovered the transliteration from the Biblia Herbraica, (which is the oldest form of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament), and this is what it said.
Leviticus 18:22 definitely says: And a male; not to lie down; in a bed of a woman/wife; abomination. (I double checked with our Hebrew lecturer).
Read it again, what did you notice about this verse? I have separated the verse into sections so that you are able to do your own word study. The words that are significant are:
1) Male - the word used to describe male in this verse in Hebrew can also mean to remember, but for this verse it just means male.
2) to lie - the word to describe lying in this verse can mean sexual intercourse or to sleep. (Botterweck, 2004: 663).
3) bed - this word means bed a place to sleep or die.
4) Woman/Wife - the word to describe woman here is also the word for wife. If we put the words bed & wife together, we mean marital bed.
5) Abomination - this word is clear and plain. It just means something that God is not pleased with at all, unacceptable.
What else did you notice? There is only one man in this verse... So we're not reading a description of a sexual union between two people, we're talking about masturbation.
Changes things a little doesn't it?
One of the students who was watching me type up this entry asked me about the verses in the New Testament. The verses in the New Testament in English translations that pertain to homosexuality are easier to explain, because the Koine Greek version of the words that are used to describe homosexuals actual mean or are referring to Temple Prostitutes.
Homosexuality is not a sin and the LBGTTIQ community are not going to hell. God bless you and keep you all.
A message for straight Christians & non-Christian LGBTIQ Community: Leviticus 18:22
March 20th, 2013